GIUSEPPE DI MORABITO: ELECTIC, INNOVATIVE, ECCENTRIC

The brand ‘Giuseppe Di Morabito’ was born in 2015 and bears the name of its founder, 27 years old from a small country village in Calabria, a land he likes to remember for its colors, traditions, rose gardens and in particular the hobby of his mother: embroidery, a typical activity for women in southern Italy. In 2015 he has the opportunity to participate in "Who is on Next?" by Vogue Italia, which gave him the right visibility, thanks to the support of Sara Maino and Franca Sozzani.

In fact, in his collections he often inserts elements that recalls this world. One of the peculiarities of the brand is being totally Made in Italy, in fact, its garments are always made with sophisticated fabrics and techniques and produced entirely in Italy. According to him quality is fundamental, as he wants to offer a product with attention to detail.




Describe yourself with three adjectives:

Sociable, creative, passionate.




What does Made in Italy mean to you?

#madeinitaly is savoir fair. Finishes of the highest quality, constructions and fine materials.




What is the brand promise on which your brand is based, like the promise you make to your consumers?


Our mission is to make the customers feel special when they wear our dresses. I want the brand to be accessible and for this reason our prices are much lower compared to that of our counterparts and other contemporary brand. We do not compromise on the quality, materials and constructions and one doesn't have to be a billionaire to buy our clothes.






What are your strengths and what do you want to express through your work?

I think the most decisive element of fashion is the construction of clothes. Although my product is positioned in the market as a contemporary clothing brand, it has many references to couture and the high end fashion. Therefore most of the dresses are supported by bustier and constructions characterized by details typically found in high fashion.


"I certainly pay attention to classic craftsmanship of Calabria, laces and crochet embroidery. Milan has introduced to a more modern and avant-garde world. It gave me the opportunity to know and introduce the chic appearance in a collection, which determines the positioning of the brand and the clientele."



What inspired your latest collection? What materials have you used?

The FW20 collection comes from a study of the classic iconic garments of the 1980s re-edited and re-presented in a contemporary way. The materials are Taffeta, Vinyl, Duchesse, tulle embroidered with sequins, printed silk satins. Even the workmanship takes its main inspiration from the 80s, for example the moulage to create maxi flowers, foulard skirts and drapery.









“A classic and traditional soul coexists in my collections contrasted with very modern and super short silhouettes. A long vintage dress of high fashion becomes a super young short dress, maybe made of vinyl. "


Is there a star, who hasn't worn your clothes yet and someone you would like to dress up?

Yes, I would love to dress Rihanna, I think some of her looks are iconic.




Do you have plans to open your own store in the future? If yes, where is it?

Yes. I hope as soon as possible. I have a very standardized idea of the positioning as a brand (although I certainly do not imagine a "classic" shop). The location of the first store will certainly be the Milan fashion district, I hope Via Montenapoleone.










The theme of "sustainability" is increasingly widespread nowadays, are you already producing garments using eco-sustainable materials or do you have ideas about it in the future?


We are certainly working to have an approach as sustainable as possible, for example by using 50% biodegradable packaging. We use sustainable wool and cotton yarns. However, making everything sustainable is very difficult. For example, beautiful sustainable fabrics have very high prices that don’t fit our targets. Though, I’ve observed that many suppliers, almost all of them, are working more and more to expand their offer. So surely, the fact of talking about and promoting sustainability is making it more and more widespread and maybe with a little time it will become more accessible.



Today Giuseppe Di Morabito has about 120 customers in the world: 40% of his turnover comes from sales in Italy and the remaining 60% is divided between Russia, America and the United Arab Emirates, but a great desire would be to increase the nascent approaches with China and Japan.


To follow and see more of Giuseppe Di Morabito's collection click here.









Interview & Article by

Giulia Ghirri


Images sourced from

Giuseppe Di Morabito

Subscribe to the D.A.R.E. E-MAG

Get our weekly magazine straight to your inbox
  • Facebook
  • Instagram

©2020 DARE CLAN - A project by ERA K.I. - P.IVA 10190260967 - All Rights Reserved